Friday, August 7, 2009

Ingrid Reference

The book I'm reading, The Big Rewind by Nathan Rabin has an Ingrid reference in it!

The book is a memoir depicting Rabin's life, his struggles and triumphs all relating to pop culture and what has made him, him.

I have laughed my butt off through most of this book. Even in the worst of times, Rabin doesn't hesitate to throw in a joke or two or make a sweet reference that no geek, movie buff, television addict or book worm can resist.

On page 284, Rabin makes a reference to the 1944 film, Gaslight, starring Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer. He says, "At one point Ridley referred to what we were doing to Zorianna as gaslighting, after the 1944 classic where Charles Boyer wages a subtle, persistent campaign to drive Ingrid Bergman insane."


I have been going on and on about this book for 2 weeks, trying to pace myself and not finish too quickly. I'm coming toward the end and I'm pretty sure Nathan Rabin probably thinks I'm stalking him on twitter because I keep tweeting about it. Oh well, you're now a hero in pop-culture yourself Mr. Rabin--deal with it!

I am a big fan of the website Rabin writes for, The A.V. Club and have suggested (via email) that Ingrid Bergman be a "Gateway to Geekery" article. Who knows, they might pick her!
I even used the word "Ingridly" in my email...pretty sweet...pretty classic.

Start working on your logos! :)


1 comment:

Lolita of the Classics said...

I use the expression "gaslighting" quite often (mostly blaming my boyfriend for doing it when he doesn't agree with my opinions)!
Sounds like a great read, I will look it up.

About Me

My photo
An avid Ingrid Bergman fan, I am a student of her life and work as well as film, filmmaking and Classic Film in general. I have my M.F.A. in TV/Film Production from USC School of Cinematic Arts and have been making a living in the business they call show. Feel free to follow me on Twitter @alexis_morrell